Saturday, July 31, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe

Today at the market, we had several requests for our homemade laundry soap recipe. We sell a bar that is labeled as laundry soap, but the Peaceacre Farmhouse Soap works just as well. Both are basic, unscented, no nonsense lye soaps. They will do the job! Here's the recipe:





Homemade Laundry Soap

Hot water

1/2 cup Washing Soda


1/2 cup Borax


1/2 bar Soap (grated)



■In a large pot, heat 3 pints of water. Add the grated bar soap and stir until melted. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat.


■In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 1 quart of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.


■Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use.
 
NOTE: We sell both the Peaceacre laundry soap and Farmhouse Soap in large and small bars. A small bar is the equivalent of the 1/2 bar in the recipe above.
 
We hear that you can find washing soda at Price Cutters in Carthage. I will arrange to have some in recipe-sized small packages next week at the market, as well. Borax you can find in the laundry section of most stores.
 
When I started making laundry soap for the Farmers Market, I didn't really have a lot of confidence that it would be a big seller. But it has been, which both surprises and pleases me. I am so happy to discover that so many people are getting back to basics, and look to be having a good time doing it, too. I've been collecting "do it yourself" recipes and formulas for a long time now, so if you're looking for anything in particular along these lines, email me! I'll be happy to share any info that I have.

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn,
    You can get the washing soda at Summerfresh in Lamar as well.

    ReplyDelete